Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Language Blog

Part 1: You were asked to engage in a conversation for 15 minutes where you were not allowed to use any version of a symbolic language (no speaking, writing, or ASL).

   Trying to communicate with my sister without using symbolic language was very difficult until I started using body language. Because my sister knows me well, we were able to communicate with ease by only using body language. Most of our conversation would be like me posing/gesturing and then my sister asking me if what she thinks is right. Most of the times she was right, and we were able to act out what I wanted to do.
   Because I know the experience might be different with other individuals, I decided to go talk to one of my neighbors. In this case, my neighbor was confused because I was just using body languages and decided to give up talking to me and ask me what is wrong. My neighbor has a different perspective on many things because we come from different cultures and environment.
   With my first conversation, I had the control of the conversation because she would analyze my body language easily and reply to them. By knowing me and having the same cultural experience, I was able to control the flow of the conversation and change topics whenever I wanted to. However, with my neighbor, because he had trouble understanding my body language, he started asking me yes or no questions. From then on, he had the control of the conversation and decided to stop after thinking the conversation was pointless.
   If I imagine that me and my partner in the conversation represent two different cultures, one that uses spoken language and one that does not, I believe the one who uses spoken language will have the advantage in communicating complex ideas within their population. This is because in body language (Not ASL), pointing to my face could mean many different things such as "me," "face," "I," etc. By speaking, we have words that symbolizes certain object/idea/events. Spoken language is more precise and efficient than body language in talking about discussing food plans for winter/causation for illness, weather and other ideas that cannot be shown in pictures.
   I believe that people from the speaking culture will think that they are far more superior than the other culture that does not speak. Because people from the speaking culture still uses body language and is sometimes more effective and important than spoken language, people who speak will be able to somewhat understand the body languages while those who do not speak will not be able to comprehend spoken language.
   An example of modern day situation of this conflict can be found among the deaf/mute. Because they cannot use the spoken language, they often have to write their thoughts out to continue a conversation. This can be quite annoying as writing is a much slower process than speaking.

Part 2: You were asked to spend 15 minutes communicating without any physical embellishments, i.e., no hand signals, not vocal intonation, not head, facial, or body movements.

   In this part of the experiment, I totally failed in holding up any type of conversations. I tried communicating with my parents and my friends, but the whole time I was talking, no one was interested in the topic after a while. I was told that I sound like a machine trying to talk because I talked in monotone and did not make any movements. My parents were patient enough to listen to 7 minutes of me talking and after that, just went into their rooms. My friends, on the other hand, told me to be quiet and left me out of the conversation after 3 minutes. With the lack of tone/body language, nothing was interesting and I failed to hold up a good conversation.
   As explained in part 1, I believe that people from speaking culture utilizes body language in their everyday conversation. Dr. Albert Mehrabian conducted several studies on nonverbal communication and concluded that only 7% of and message is conveyed through words, 38% by vocal elements, and 55% through body language (nonverbal elements). This means that although we use words everyday to hold up a conversation, must of our conversations are done by body language. For example, in America, we keep our distances of about 3 to 5 feet away from talking to strangers. By someone talking to you in that distance range, you already know that the person is not quite comfortable talking to you yet. Another example might be something like crossing your arms and leaning back while talking to somebody. This posture could mean that you are mad/frustrated with the target audience. By reading a person's body language, we are sometimes able to analyze and understand the mood/thoughts of the person.
   Being able to read body languages is an adaptive behavior and can have multiple benefits for the person. For example, when you see someone constantly looking around and being anxious at the bank, you might believe something is wrong with that person. If the security notices this behavior, they are able to keep an eye on that persons behavior and act as fast possible if the person shows any signs of committing criminal activity. The security's attention to these body languages could possibly save everyone in the bank from imminent danger.
   Although I cannot think about anyone who have difficulties reading body language, I know that cultures differ in the symbols of the body language. For example, in some Mediterranean countries such as Brazil and Turkey, an O,K, hand sign is an insult. If you are raised in Brazil and some tourists give you an O.K. sign for approval, you can be very offended by misjudging their body language because of cultural perspectives. In this case, reading body language is actually a negative trait and is unreliable.

3 comments:

  1. A great post! I like how you gave some specific examples of when body language is NOT a good trait. I never would have guessed that a hand sign could ever be an insult.
    Where did you get that information from Dr. Albert Mehrabian? I know who he is, but was there a specific publication that gave you those statistics (7% of messages with words, etc)?
    Lastly, what was the topic of your conversation in the first paragraph of part 2? A little more clarity on that would have been nice (Your friends told you to be quiet? I find this strange because when I did my part 2 assignment, I felt as if I could hardly communicate and felt incredibly restricted. Were you really that active?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate that you recognized the potential differences between conducting Part A with a close relative as opposed to a casual acquaintance. I think the time you took to do both sets of attempts gave you some good insight into this part of the experiment, particularly with the issue of control. Since there are more people in the world who are not related to than are related to you, is it safe to say that the second experiment probably better represented the way the real world would react to a person who doesn't use spoken language as expected?

    Why would a speaking culture feel superior to a non-speaking one? I don't disagree, but I'd like to hear your logic on this. Yes, anyone who doesn't speak "normally", including those who are deaf, would be a good representative of this situation. Is the slow communication annoying to the listener, the deaf person or both?

    Good description for Part B.

    Yes, non-spoken language contributes meaning and clarification and clues to a person's feelings, but it also allows people to verify what you are saying, kind of like a lie-detector. If your body language doesn't match the words you are saying, this tells the person that you aren't telling the truth and perhaps can't be trusted. Why would this be beneficial in an adaptive sense?

    While I understand your line of thought with regard to an issue of security for the third section, when we talk about adaptive benefits, we are talking about how a trait aids an individual in its survival. So how could reading a person's body language help a person from an adaptive perspective? Again, think in terms of the "lie detector" issue above. Imagine a person's survival rate if they couldn't tell the honest people from the cheaters of the world.

    Josh's comments on Dr. Mehrabian is on point: If you cite specific ideas or data, make sure you include a link/citation so your readers can read the information themselves.

    There are specific groups that have significant impairment in reading body language, such as those in the autism spectrum and also (to a certain degree) those who are blind.

    Good discussion on the cultural differences in body language! That was precisely the situation I was considering with this question. American tourists in particular get into trouble in their travels by not recognizing this reality. Probably the origin of the "ugly American" phenomena... that along with Bermuda shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your post. I bet your neighbor thought that you were completely nuts. And, it's rude that your friends didn't have more patience with you but honestly, who would want someone monotone and expressionless in their conversation? I really like the example that you used towards the end about the different ways that one behavior can be interpreted. The way that a cop interprets someone's behavior vs. how a civilian interprets the same behavior could be vastly different. This applies to all kinds of communication. One one culture thinks is a sign of respect, another culture could think is insulting.

    ReplyDelete